Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Extracting and Reinstalling SMT IC

For any chip that has visible pins such as a "SOTA" type, I've had good
luck by covering the legs with solder. First you do one side, then the
other, and sort of rock it up. Cover one side of pins with solder and
move the iron up and down the length of the chip until the solder is
good and molten. Using a jewelers screwdriver or a dental pick, ease
that side of the chip up very slightly. Say, no more than about a 32nd
of an inch. Do the same on the other side and keep repeating the
process until the chip comes free. You can then use solder wick to
clean up the globbed up solder on the PCB. The hardest part is, of
course, installing the new chip, but with loupe goggles or a Luxor
lamp, and some patience, you can do it. Oh, BTW, Hi all. I'm new to
this group.