SeventhPrince七少爷

Default Extracting and Reinstalling SMT IC

Hi,

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones? Could it be
done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

Thanks.
SeventhPrince七少爷

Sam Goldwasser

"SeventhPrince丞£å°ž±çž¨·" writes:

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones? Could it be
done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

What type SMT parts? For many, it's possible. But if you're talking about
a 144 pin quad flat pack, may be a different story.

SeventhPrince七少爷

Hi Sam,

Could you explain how to extract the SMT ICs. Thanks

Sam Goldwasser

"SeventhPrince丞£å°ž±çž¨·" writes:

Could you explain how to extract the SMT ICs. Thanks

What type of package? There are all kinds of SMT devices.

But for any, with a hot air rework station, it's much easier than with a
soldering iron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SeventhPrince??? wrote:
: Hi Sam,

: Could you explain how to extract the SMT ICs. Thanks

As others have mentioned, what kind of package?

If it only has leads on two sides the way to rework them is with a special
solder tip that is a "bar" shape. It heats all of the leads at once.
A square tip that matches the outline of the IC leads is used for ICs
with leads on all 4 sides. If it's a BGA (ball grid array... no visible
leads on periphery) only a hot air rework tool will do the job.

Also, you could try carefully cutting each lead with sharp, clean
cutters and removing the leads individually, then cleaning up the land
pattern with solder wick and resoldering the part.

It's not an easy job to do with conventional soldering tools. You need
a sharp pointed soldering iron and a magnifying light to do the job.

b.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
russ lavergne

Howard Electronics has some nice videos on removing SMD stuff. Dig around
there are also many tech tips on removing them also

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/smdrepar.html

"SeventhPrince???" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones? Could it be
done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

Thanks.
SeventhPrince???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
SeventhPrince七少爷

Thanks Sam.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
SeventhPrince七少爷

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sunny

russ lavergne wrote:

Howard Electronics has some nice videos on removing SMD stuff. Dig around
there are also many tech tips on removing them also

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/smdrepar.html

I have successfully removed and replaced many surface mount chips
(including large quad packages) using chipquik and techniques similar to
those described on the page above. However, it's difficult to keep the
chipquik melted all the way around the package with just a regular
soldering station and a hair dryer. I use thin strips of stainless steel
(sold as "matrix bands" by dental suppliers), sliding them between pins
and pads one row at a time and leaving them in place while I work on the
next row - solder doesn't stick to stainless steel, so when you get to
the last row the chip comes off easily.

Sunny

"SeventhPrince???" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones? Could it be
done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

Thanks.
SeventhPrince???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article .com,
says...

Hi,

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones?

Most certainly it can. Doing so properly requires the correct
tools (fairly expensive), and a good deal of skill.

Could it be done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

Under a few rare conditions, such as low pin count PLCC packages,
yes. I've done it. However, I've never been entirely happy with the
results. SMT desolder/resolder equipment is still the best possible way
to do SMT repair and rework.

If you're looking for equipment to do so that won't require a
second mortgage to finance, look he

http://www.madelltech.com

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For any chip that has visible pins such as a "SOTA" type, I've had good
luck by covering the legs with solder. First you do one side, then the
other, and sort of rock it up. Cover one side of pins with solder and
move the iron up and down the length of the chip until the solder is
good and molten. Using a jewelers screwdriver or a dental pick, ease
that side of the chip up very slightly. Say, no more than about a 32nd
of an inch. Do the same on the other side and keep repeating the
process until the chip comes free. You can then use solder wick to
clean up the globbed up solder on the PCB. The hardest part is, of
course, installing the new chip, but with loupe goggles or a Luxor
lamp, and some patience, you can do it. Oh, BTW, Hi all. I'm new to
this group.