Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default What's up with LV forstner bits?

wrote in message
ups.com...
You're right, Doug...I didn't see that part. However, that may be
because I was reading the other page on their forstner bits, where they
specifically say, "The bit gives a cleanly cut, flat-bottomed hole
ideal for plugging."

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Then even show a picture of a perfectly flat-bottomed hole as a
feature.

Yeah, the page you linked to should perhaps say Forstner and Saw Toot bits
rather than Forstner/Saw Tooth Bits.
And the illustrations should differentiate between the two.

Regardless, I don't know who the hell would knowingly buy a forstner
bit that drilled a volcano-bottomed hole into a board, so these will go
back.

Some people don't care if the bottom is flat or not but would prefer the saw
tooth design and the advantages that come with it. I literally drill
thousands of 1-3/8" wide holes for Euro stile hinges. I am not too
concerned with a flat bottom as the top of the hinge holds the hinge flat
with the surface. I only need clean holes that are deep enough to accept
the hinge.