jim rozen

Default FS- South Bend 13"

In article ,
says...

Actually, what I said was that I consider the 13" South Bends one of
the Biggest bargains available to HSM's because most folks consider
them too big and opt for the heavy 10 instead. A heavy 10 in
comparable condition is generally twice (or more) the price of a
similarly equipped 13" South Bend.

13" South Bend lathe = 10L on steroids!

In the case of the machine that started this thread, the big draw back
that sprang to my mind was the mention of "2A" collets. That means it
likely has the 1-7/8" x 8 threaded spindle, which is not directly 5C
compatible and won't pass 1" stock through the spindle bore. IMHO that
puts a different ceiling on the value of the machine.

Quite right. I was unaware that they even made the 13 inch
machine with the smaller spindle. That probably puts it in
a different age bracket than one would expect. The transition
zone 10Ls with the smaller spindle will easily accept the larger
bore headstock, but I'm not sure if the 13 inch can be
retrofitted that way.

Jim

please reply to: