Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sunny

Default Extracting and Reinstalling SMT IC

russ lavergne wrote:

Howard Electronics has some nice videos on removing SMD stuff. Dig around
there are also many tech tips on removing them also

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/smdrepar.html

I have successfully removed and replaced many surface mount chips
(including large quad packages) using chipquik and techniques similar to
those described on the page above. However, it's difficult to keep the
chipquik melted all the way around the package with just a regular
soldering station and a hair dryer. I use thin strips of stainless steel
(sold as "matrix bands" by dental suppliers), sliding them between pins
and pads one row at a time and leaving them in place while I work on the
next row - solder doesn't stick to stainless steel, so when you get to
the last row the chip comes off easily.

Sunny

"SeventhPrince???" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Could SMT IC be extracted and reinstalled with new ones? Could it be
done with hand methods and without using SMT machines?

Thanks.
SeventhPrince???