Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Whitehouse

Default Septic Tank and Water Softener

Thanks for the advice. The soil has a lot of clay and I can't really change
the grade.

I will probably look at a dry well come spring then.

The guys that did the install suggested once every 3 days. The iron and
tannin I have is pretty heavy.

All my outside taps come straight from the well so I am good there.

"JimR" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Alan Whitehouse" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have a septic tank. I also have 3 water softener units (one is a
softner, one is for iron removal and one is for tannin removal). Each
runs on a 3 day cycle so one regenerates each night and flushes all the
water into the drain. I just discoverd that these don't drain into the
septic tank but just into a space in my back yard. I now know the
answer to why that area is always soggy. Unfortunately the area has
become a mosquito breeding ground and we have a 20 x 20 area of the back
yard we really can't use.

I am doing renovations now and have the opportunity to re-route these to
feed into my septic tank. My question is whether or not this is a bad
thing for the septic tank? It is all water and no solid, but don't know
enough about the details of septic to know for sure.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Alan -- there are a lot of variables and I'm not a professional in this
field, but let me make a few suggestions:

--Your system sounds a lot like mine, located in Central Florida. If
you're in a similar location, there should be some way to minimize the
soggy area -- perhaps with a slight change in grade, digging a dry well,
or simply using the area for a garden with plants that like this
environment.

-- If your soil is as sandy as mine, it should drain pretty quickly.

-- Have you considered having all three units cycle on the same day, which
gives three days for the area to dry out?

-- Are you sure you need to recycle this frequently? I have mine
recycling on 4 days and six days, which is adequate. Especially for the
tannin-removal (a potassium permanganate unit?) you should be able to go
six days or more before needing recycling.

-- If you don't have one already, consider adding a hose bib that draws
water before it goes into the tanks, so that water you use for pressure
washing, washing cars, watering the lawn, etc. doesn't deplete your
chemicals.

-- My personal preference is to not send water to the septic tank that
doesn't need treatment.

Regards --