Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Sanding and finishing Walnut.

"Keith" wrote in message
I'm in the final steps of sanding a project and have noticed some sanding
swirl
marks. I have been very careful to step up the sanding grades from
120-150-180-220. I have even tried handing sanding this test board. I
still
can't seem to remove all the swirl marks. I haven't used walnut before so
I may
have to drop back and try the sanding process again from 120 grit or
lower. Is
walnut that hard that it may require a lower sanding grit to start from. I
have
paper from 80 for my sander. I'm using a festool 150/3 sander.
I was going to use Pore-O-Pac paste wood grain filler first then use a
tung
oil.
Is there another way I should consider for a natural grain glass smooth
finish.
I haven't used a wood grain filler before so this is all new.
Thanks again.

As Leon said, I start with 160-180 and move up from there. However, I
prefer a scraper for finishing walnut.
Secondly, swirl marks seem to show up only if I allow the sander to stop or
start while in contact with the wood.

Dave