SC

Default Underfloor heating

"SC" wrote
We are doing major changes to our kitchen to make it open plan to a dining
area and living room, and we are adding a sunroom. As we need to add new
floors we wanted to look at underflooor heating. We will have a gas combi
boiler system.
Any personal experience out there? Is it costly to run? I like the idea

as
this will be a family room and we have 3 kids under 4, they spend so much
time rollling round the floor I thought it may be a good idea to warm the
floor...

Any sane thoughts appreciated

Suzanne

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" A
Einstein

Phew I've started World War III!!
But it has brought out a lot of good points.

To summerise: People like underfloor heating, but it needs to be put down
well.
Issues to consider: are heatup time lag (the changeable Autumn/Spring
weather point was good), avoid hotspots, good underfloor insulation,
separate controller at boiler, no radiator to hang your wet socks (sorry
this is important to me).
Good things a a comfortable heat at lower temps, warm bare toes,
radiators not hogging wall space, cosy warm floor for kiddies to roll on,
overall lower cost in my situation.

My situation is: this is for a large L-shaped room 20'x20' which will be
kitchen/ dining/ living space. Ventilation/ heating are very important as
we are combining a cooking and living environment. I only work mornings,
home with after school childcare and quite often have to be up at night with
wains, so always on heating is fine. The back door will open into a sunroom
part of this area - draughts when the door is opened, plus condensation from
kitchen activity on sunroom windows.

My experience was of being brought up in a 200yr old farmhouse with only an
Rayburn Royal for heat, or open the airing cupboard in the bathroom to take
the chill of an enamal bath. Consequently I can stand too much heat, and
especially heat convection/hot air heaters. Turns me into a heat hogging
zombie with red legs.

What I think maybe good for us will be a separate controller for UF to the
combi (located just off this room) and a good control for settings. I will
not run the UF round the cooking and dishwasher/ sink area as I would
overheat. In addition I will run a slim radiator round under the windows in
the sunroom as this will be the coldest area, most prone to condensation,
and also give me somewhere to warm socks towels etc.

Whadda think??

NO scrapping boys

Ta Suzanne