Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Default Drilled 3/16" hole into sewer vent - is there much of a problem?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Matt wrote:
m Ransley wrote:

You might get a bit of gas but probably not noticable, a bit of rain
water may come in eventualy. Best would be to caulk it up, maybe use
silicone.

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone
cocking in there to further plug it up.

I think you've "cocked it up" enough already, Matt. :-)

I bet if the sewer vent was actually in the center between the drywall
that I wouldn't have this problem.

Probably, but out of curiousity, how did you learn about your
unfortunate choice of spots to drill? Did you feel the resistance of the
pipe and seefind

If the anchor you used was one of those simple plastic ones that gets
expanded by a screw entering it, then I think you'd be fine if you just
removed the screw, pulled the anchor out, squirted in the silicone
sealer like you said and reset the anchor and screw.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks,
Matt

I think you've "cocked it up" enough already, Matt. :-)

Hahaha, good one Jeff :-) I got a good laugh out of that.

Honestly I didn't feel much of a resistance. I have one of those 18v
Dewalt drills and it cut right through it. I found out when I tried to
insert the anchor in and it had more resistance than the other anchor
I inserted. So I got one of those fiber optic attachment for my mini
Maglight and I was able to see some plastic but couldn't really make
out what it was, and then it hit me. Oh ****! I climbed up into the
attic and confirmed my suspicion.

The pvc piping that comes up from the wall in the closet doesn't go
straight to the roof. It actually hooks a 90 to meet up with another
vent and the pvc it self seems kinda flimsy. I guess it doesn't need
much since it just a vent.

I'll go ahead and seal that up with silicone and monitor it.

Thanks, take it easy,
Matt