Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

snip-

You're reading far too much into that post, Harold.

I'm going to put this as simply as I can; I fully agree that theft is

wrong,
but I don't snicker at the guy buying condoms, stare uncomfortably at the
young girl buying tampons,

Nor do I. These are not examples of someone being dishonest.

or count the number of pipe fittings of the
fellow in front of me.

Hard to avoid when you look at the counter and that's where they are
sitting. To be honest, I'm not sure it was 6. Could have been 5, could
have been 7, but one thing I noticed is that they were assembled, and only
one piece of each assembly was being scanned. This was relatively fresh on
my mind because I've been working with PVC in the course of building our
house. I paid for my fittings. No, I won't apologize for watching.
It's a public place that is conducting business with the public. I'm
entitled to be looking where I please. Often it's elsewhere. That given
day I happened to be looking at the counter. Surely you've done
that ------ and seen nothing, as I have. This day, for the first time that
I recall, I witnessed a dishonest act. I should remain silent? That
tells you what about me? I endorse the crime, maybe?

I also don't fantasize about the sexual relations
between clerks and customers.

Nor do I. My comments were in favor of the checker. She wasn't a
"looker" by today's standards, at least as I understand them. That, in no
way, implies that I think she was involved in sexual relations with a
customer, and hoped to dispel that notion. It also does not imply that she
was a schnauzer. Just a common woman that didn't appear to be on the make.
I was implying that I *didn't* think she was involved, but a victim, a
concept I conveyed to management when I placed my phone call. The call I'd
place again under like circumstances. My character isn't up for grabs
because others appear to support the concept of stealing.

It's called respecting people's space, Harold and since I don't like

people
sticking their nose into my business, I try to avoid hypocricy by not
sticking my nose into theirs. I fully admit that with this outlook I

would
not have noticed the possible theft of merchandise that you witnessed at

the
Home Depot, because I believe in giving other people their space.

First off, this has nothing to do with your space, or that of anyone else.
This has to do with a criminal act----stealing. You don't want your *space*
violated, then don't give others a reason to do so. That violates my
space, your space, and the space of anyone that frequents retail
stores-----and it does that by increased prices to cover for those that are
stealing----not really from the store, but from their fellow man----the guy
that picks up the tab. Surely you realize that it's the same as taxing a
business. Business does not pay tax------the customer does. Regardless
of how much you tax a corporation, it is simply passed on to the consumer.
It's factored in the price of their product. Business operates tax free.

People that avoided intervening when crimes occurred may very well have
enjoyed your sense of "space", but suddenly wanted that very space intruded
upon when a similar crime was committed against them. If we intend to
have harmony in society, we can't selectively uphold crimes-----we're either
against dishonest acts, or we're for them. No one is neutral---proven by
the fact that all of us won't accept the acts when performed against us.
If you're for them, then you must expect that you will also be a victim of
them. If you're willing to buy stolen goods, for example, don't be too
surprised when it's your house that gets burglarized. While I appreciate
your intention, I have little respect for your double standard.

If that makes me such a bad person in your eyes, then you must be a far
better man than I to be able to judge me so.

Sorry, but you have that wrong. I didn't judge you-----you did. You told
me what you stand for. I simply repeated it. I don't represent those
things, although I do have my own shortcomings. I've been working on being
a better person----and it's not easy. I don't consider doing nothing when
a crime is being committed being a better person. We appear to have
different standards, don't we.

Harold