MASTERCHIEF

Default Complex wiring question for triplex home (service panel interconnectivity)

John Grabowski wrote:
A 400 amp service for a house that is less than 2000 square feet sounds
excessive. Instead of trying to install switches to go back and forth I

Floor #1 1920 sq. ft
Floor #2 1288 sq. ft
Floor #3 966 sq. ft
suggest a submeter configuration. Install a new 200 amp service (Or 400 amp
if you prefer) with one meter from the power company. Split that up into 3
or 4 submeter feeds to power your subpanels. You would have to purchase the
submeters and bill your tenants for the power that they consumed each month.
You would only pay one bill to the power company and if you decided to make
the house one family again you would not have to make any changes to the
service. You can do the same thing for gas and water also. The downside is
that the submeters can be expensive to purchase. Call an electrical supply
house for a price quote.

WOW! Great idea and most cases it would work, but I am not about to
put the entire house (electric) in my name. I want the tenants to be
responsible and I do not want to get stuck with their bills.
Collecting rent can be had enuf sometimes.

I LIKE THE IDEA THOUGH.

Frank

I suggest that you consult with an electrical contractor about this. You
should also meet with a representative from the power company and tell him
or her what you are trying to accomplish. They may already have a solution.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv