buffalobill

Default Complex wiring question for triplex home (service panel interconnectivity)

yes, get the biggest service size you can afford.
you know you'll be sorry if you don't supersize it. whether it's the
size of a water main i need for plumbing [my house has a new 1" line
not the 3/4" one every plumber wanted to put in] or the service panel
circuit breaker count [i love spare slots for the future] or the
between-room wall insulation we install that isn't in the building
code.
see also
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/afci.html
regarding arc fault breakers for that older home.
also check requirements for a house meter for the landlord to provide
common area lighting in a multiple dwelling. you may be looking at a
four meter setup in that case.
don't forget the monthly charge for each of these meters.
don't forget wind, solar, and geo-thermal as you dream of connecting
into the grid and the earth for future power changes.