Owen Lowe

Default Gluing Wood to Metal?

wrote:

Doesn't Gorilla glue foam up, and doesn't it have a shorter shelf life?
Does all epoxy need to be 2-step and have a short working time?

Thank you for that in-depth response. It really helped. I think
I'll just recommend Gorilla glue with the warning of too much does
foam.

Hi Ruth,

Chuck's message didn't make it to my ISP, so I can only reply to what
you replied...

I don't care for the polyurethane glues - like Gorilla Glue. The foaming
action will force the joint apart unless it's clamped -- and even then,
the foam will squeeze itself out as it cures and expands. If the joint
is overly loose in the slightest, the poly glues aren't strong because
the foam which fills the gap has very little strength. I'd much rather
use an epoxy; they do a fine job filling gaps and stay relatively
flexible to maintain the bond as the wood expands and contracts.

Epoxies come in all sorts of flavors with regard to curing time, though
they are all 2-step as far as I know. One can even mix in all sorts of
colorants to custom match a wood. For my turning projects, I usually use
a 5-minute formula so I can mix, spread, assemble and set aside for
15-30 minutes. (Not sure where they get the 5-minute time, but such is
life.) If I need longer working time, there are long-set formulas - I
use a System Three duo for those.

Why would you desire a long-set time?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.