Leo Van Der Loo

Default Gluing Wood to Metal?

Hi Ruth

I use epoxy, the glue advise I looked up recommends epoxy, the epoxy I
happen to use has a long working time 60 min. and a minimum 5 to 6 hour
curing time, all epoxies are not made equal as is the case with many things.

The epoxy I have is for gluing a wiring harness to metal and other
material for use in a hi-tech airplane and satellite application,
something like a location beacon, I got it because the epoxy was past
its exp. date.

Also the strength needed to keep the stopper from falling apart is so
small that I would think any glue would almost do.

You could also go the not dry wood route and make a tight fit, dry the
wood and it will never fall off, I would think.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

wrote:

Hi,

Is there a preference of glue when doing metal to wood? I've been
highly recommending Tite Bond II as a bond for woodturnings on my
stainless steel bottle stoppers. At the show in NC one of the reps
from another booth said he would use either epoxy or Gorilla glue. I
have never had one of my stoppers come loose using Tite Bond II.

Doesn't Gorilla glue foam up, and doesn't it have a shorter shelf life?
Does all epoxy need to be 2-step and have a short working time?

By the way, I want to thank all of you who stopped by my booth at the
Albany, Ohio or NC show to introduce yourself and it was nice to visit
with some old friends from this group. It really is nice to see
someone you've just "read". : )

Thanks for opinions, suggestions and advice.

Ruth and The General
http://www.torne-lignum.com