wanderer

Default Electricity Meter

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:28:24 +0100, Scott wrote:

Hi
Not sure if this is appropriate for this group but its as close as I could
find.
I have had an electricity bill that I think is to high. On switching
everything off on the consumer unit, the disk on the meter continues to
spin.
The meter has 6 numerical vertical counters and underneath a disk that spins
horizontally.
It is the disk that continues to spin. It takes 13 minutes and 33 seconds to
do a complete revolution.
Is this correct?

No. No load and the disk should stop. Are you sure everything is
switched off? I understand your comments about the switch - it's not
unknown for circuits to be tacked on wrongly, although in fairness, some
meters can take perhaps as many as 80 to 160 revolutions of the disk to
register 1kwh, so your 13 minutes seems like a very small load - more
like one of the check magnets inside the meter is wrongly set.

Next to the meter (on the exit side) is a switch. This looks like where the
electric enters the house. When I switch this off the disk continues to spin
at the same rate.
I have spoken to the supplier who has told me to take meter readings every
day then they will do a meter accuracy test. what does this involve.

'Phone them again and tell them you want someone to come and check the
meter ASAP. Don't let them fob you off with a delay.

The check they will (used to) do is to connect a known load to the meter
and check how long it takes to complete a set number of revolutions.