Vass

Default tiled shelf around bath

"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think I understand what you're planning...

Personally I'd use exterior ply to face the frame and prime it before
tiling. Use a waterproof tile adhesive and separate waterproof grout
that you mix up from powder. Seal all joints with silicone sealant.
There's been loads of threads on how to acheive a good result using
masking tape etc.

I've used the above method on shower enclosure walls and it's
absolutely fine.

What material is the bath?

If it's a plastic one it will benefit from as much support as possible.
Personally I'd fix it to the frame you construct. Presumably you have
picked your tiles already and planned the frame size to match so that
you don't have any silly tile cutting to do?

Yes, cheap fibreglass bath from B & Q
If I attach the bath at the top, so long as I pack the chipboard base
with bricks or some sizeable timber, will this avoid the possibility of the
top cracking?
I fitted a similar bath a year ago in another house and it cracked becasue I
fixed it at the top
but perhpas without suffient packing beneath.

Tiles already purchased :-) Lady of the house wants these oblong tiles
to go on in a landscape fashion round the bathroom, so they will go nicely
on the shelf area
around the bath.

thanks for replies and advice.
--