Vass

Default tiled shelf around bath

I'm about to rip out the old bathroom and put in a new suite.
I'd like to put a 6" shelf accross the back and in front of the long sides
of the bath (the ends butt up to the walls)

I presume I construct framework from some 2 x 1, but do I need anything
special
to tile onto? can I just use some plywood to form the shelf prior to tiling
?
And the panel side, can I use plywood here too?

also, the bath itself, should the lip butt up to the framework, or should it
sit on it?
the latter would not allow movement when filled, so I've probably answered
my own question here.

Thanks in advance.

--
Vass
Now: YZF-R1 (for sale)

Fitz

Vass wrote:
I'm about to rip out the old bathroom and put in a new suite.
I'd like to put a 6" shelf accross the back and in front of the long sides
of the bath (the ends butt up to the walls)

I presume I construct framework from some 2 x 1, but do I need anything
special
to tile onto? can I just use some plywood to form the shelf prior to tiling
?
And the panel side, can I use plywood here too?

also, the bath itself, should the lip butt up to the framework, or should it
sit on it?
the latter would not allow movement when filled, so I've probably answered
my own question here.

I think I understand what you're planning...

Personally I'd use exterior ply to face the frame and prime it before
tiling. Use a waterproof tile adhesive and separate waterproof grout
that you mix up from powder. Seal all joints with silicone sealant.
There's been loads of threads on how to acheive a good result using
masking tape etc.

I've used the above method on shower enclosure walls and it's
absolutely fine.

What material is the bath?

If it's a plastic one it will benefit from as much support as possible.
Personally I'd fix it to the frame you construct. Presumably you have
picked your tiles already and planned the frame size to match so that
you don't have any silly tile cutting to do?

--
Steve F

Vass

"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think I understand what you're planning...

Personally I'd use exterior ply to face the frame and prime it before
tiling. Use a waterproof tile adhesive and separate waterproof grout
that you mix up from powder. Seal all joints with silicone sealant.
There's been loads of threads on how to acheive a good result using
masking tape etc.

I've used the above method on shower enclosure walls and it's
absolutely fine.

What material is the bath?

If it's a plastic one it will benefit from as much support as possible.
Personally I'd fix it to the frame you construct. Presumably you have
picked your tiles already and planned the frame size to match so that
you don't have any silly tile cutting to do?

Yes, cheap fibreglass bath from B & Q
If I attach the bath at the top, so long as I pack the chipboard base
with bricks or some sizeable timber, will this avoid the possibility of the
top cracking?
I fitted a similar bath a year ago in another house and it cracked becasue I
fixed it at the top
but perhpas without suffient packing beneath.

Tiles already purchased :-) Lady of the house wants these oblong tiles
to go on in a landscape fashion round the bathroom, so they will go nicely
on the shelf area
around the bath.

thanks for replies and advice.
--
Vass

Fitz

Vass wrote:
"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

What material is the bath?

Yes, cheap fibreglass bath from B & Q

They seem horrifically wobbly and flimsy before they are fitted.

The one I put in had a lump of 18mm (or maybe thicker) chipboard
underneath fixed to the fibreglass shell.

Two metal supports were fixed to this just in from the ends. There was
an additional foot to support the middle.

The supports had bolt holes for the feet which screwed to the floor.
Once it was all done up nice and tight AND supported on the wall at two
points AND supported at several other points by a simple frame I
built... it was super stable and didn't move a millimetre when I half
filled it with water before tiling.

So yes - the more support the better underneath and around the edges.

--
Steve F

Chris J Dixon

Vass wrote:

I'm about to rip out the old bathroom and put in a new suite.
I'd like to put a 6" shelf accross the back and in front of the long sides
of the bath (the ends butt up to the walls)

I'm sure you have already thought about this point, but it would
be as well to consider exactly how the falls will be organised,
so as to minimise pooling or dripping of any water splashed onto
these shelves.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Bath Panel - Tiling and removal. [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 05 11:39 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 05:09 AM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 04:39 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 09:49 PM
Drain for bath through tiled floor BigWallop UK diy 1 September 5th 03 08:13 PM