Jeff Wisnia

Default is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter?

Pawel wrote:

I have a washer and dryer in downstairs bathroom and in winter I feel it is
stupid to vent it outside while the furnace is working hard on both heating
and humififying whole house. Will it do damage if I disconnect the outside
vent and send the output (through the old pantyhose filter) into the house?

I wonder if it would be cost effective for some company to produce a
heat exchanger combined with a small circulating fan for recovering that
heat? The fan could be switched on by a thermostat so that it only ran
when the hot air from the dryer warmed the unit up.

About 25 years ago I installed one of those commercial units which had a
manual flap valve for directing the hot exhaustair into the house when
desired (Electric dryer, no gas danger.) It did blow a lot of lint into
the room, even with a filter bag over the outlet. I wan't impressed
enough to get another one when we moved up to our next house.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)