Martin H. Eastburn

Default Blackening copper

One way to get these chemicals - if you know a druggist - or a chemical company...
A druggist can order these in small liter sized bottles - or less. I say take this -
as the real names are here - the real purpose is here and you might not have to
worry with permission blank from the FBI or Homeland Security... The first is IIRC
used in a photo lab - I want to say developer - not sure. Been a while since I taught that!
Ferric Nitrate - just have to order. Not simple off the shelf stuff. I don't think a
ranch and farm supply would have either.
Here goes - and good luck. The book is expensive - in a way - but 360+ pages of data -
most of it like this :

"
Copper / Copper Plate Black

3.111 Black Semi-gloss
Sodium Thiosulphate 50 gm
Ferric Nitrate 12.5 gm
Water 1 liter

HOT Immersion (Twenty Minutes)
[ bad info first :-)
If the temp is to high the color layer will be patchy and more
fragile when removed from solution, revealing a tan color beneath the black. ]

Method :
The article is immersed into the hot solution - 60-70C - and after about 1 minute
the surface is colored with a purple-blue luster, which gradually recedes.
After 5 minutes a brown color slowly appears which changes to a slate Grey with
continued immersion. After about twenty minutes the article is removed,
washed in hot water and allowed to dry in air.
The surface may be fragile at this stage and should be handled as little
as possible. When completely dry the article is wax finished.
" quote from page 190 "The Coloring, Bronzing and Pagination of Metals"
(spelling changed from British English to American English )

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Roger Jensen wrote:
Martin,

Semi gloss...

thanks,

rog

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

I have "THE BOOK" on that - and have lots of blacks. How black -
Which black? !

Semi-matte/matte
Variegated black Semi-matte
Dark slate with purplish tint
Purplish-black
black dark reddish brown
black dark slate
black semi-gloss
dark slate/blue-black
Blue-black Gloss
Black semi-matte
Black semi matte (2)
Dark brown/black
Black / dark slate

and several more pages..

Give me an idea of what black - is it for ? and I'll give out one.
This book "The Colouring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals" Richard
Hughes $53.55
Amazon.com lcccn 90-498660

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Roger Jensen wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

News==----