Roger Jensen

Default Blackening copper

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

Thanks,

rog

Grant Erwin

Roger Jensen wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

I researched how to patina cast bronze black recently, didn't come up with
anything. I wound up using a dark brown instead, looks OK. - GWE
The Davenport's

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

This is a VERY old memory going back to 8th grade art class, so don't take
it as gospel, but as I recall it was sulfuric acid that would put a nearly
black patina on copper. Then use vinegar do stop it and neutralize the acid.

As I said, please just use this a starting point...it might be the right
stuff, but then again, it might not.

Mike

Don Bruder

In article ,
"User Example" wrote:

I don't see how vinegar would neutralize an acid since vinegar is an acid,
isn't it?

Did you miss this part of his post?

This is a VERY old memory going back to 8th grade art class, so don't take
it as gospel

But yeah, you're right that vinegar (acetic acid) won't neutralize
sulphuric acid worth diddly. Lye, baking soda, crushed limestone or
gypsum (or all of the above, if you like) would do a good job of it, but
one would want to be *REAL* careful, particularly with the lye, to avoid
getting it flung back in one's face by the reaction.

And sulphur figures into the equation, but I can't recall how. All I
remember is that the stuff we used when we did copper impresssions (I
think mine was about 6th grade - Not sure. I remember that I did a
motorcycle, though ) stunk to hell and gone of sulphur. Had to do
that part outside on the benches around the courtyard, the stench was so
bad. It ws safe enough to give to youngsters our age, so it couldn't
have been *TOO* toxic beyond the smell.

Hmmm... on second thought, that *WAS* 25 years ago... When kids
routinely did things like "chickenfights" on the monkey bars, shooting
off model rockets, swimmming in GASP! The River, shooting the bejeezus
out of the blackbird and crow population for miles around, and similar
things that we now know are life-threatening activities sure to lead to
the extinction of the human race. Who is it with the .sig that mentions
"Used to be we made things a boy could lose a couple fingers on"?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
BillP

Bruce Johnstone wrote:
Try a Froogle search for " black patina on copper " , many choices.

Bruce

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
m...

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

What?.... No Marines in the group? Ask any jarhead about brass black~
I truely believe it would do the trick...

And Semper Fi, guys....

Bill
Richard Ferguson

Try liver of sulphur, but don't leave it on long or the oxide will get
too thick and flake off.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
Martin H. Eastburn

I have "THE BOOK" on that - and have lots of blacks. How black -
Which black? !

Semi-matte/matte
Variegated black Semi-matte
Dark slate with purplish tint
Purplish-black
black dark reddish brown
black dark slate
black semi-gloss
dark slate/blue-black
Blue-black Gloss
Black semi-matte
Black semi matte (2)
Dark brown/black
Black / dark slate

and several more pages..

Give me an idea of what black - is it for ? and I'll give out one.
This book "The Colouring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals" Richard Hughes $53.55
Amazon.com lcccn 90-498660

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Roger Jensen wrote:
I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

Thanks,

rog

bw

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
m...
I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Mix and heat the sulphur into 10 parts turpentine until it is dissolved
completely.

Brush lightly onto clean copper.

Heat the copper SLOWLY until black.

Mike Henry

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
"User Example" wrote:

I don't see how vinegar would neutralize an acid since vinegar is an
acid,
isn't it?

Did you miss this part of his post?

This is a VERY old memory going back to 8th grade art class, so don't
take
it as gospel

But yeah, you're right that vinegar (acetic acid) won't neutralize
sulphuric acid worth diddly. Lye, baking soda, crushed limestone or
gypsum (or all of the above, if you like) would do a good job of it, but
one would want to be *REAL* careful, particularly with the lye, to avoid
getting it flung back in one's face by the reaction.

Gypsum is just calcium sulfate isn't it? If so, it's already a salt and
won't act as a neutralizer.

[...]

Don Bruder - - If your "From:" address isn't on my
whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text
"PopperAndShadow"
somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without
my
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more
info

Don Bruder

In article ,
"Mike Henry" wrote:

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
"User Example" wrote:

I don't see how vinegar would neutralize an acid since vinegar is an
acid,
isn't it?

Did you miss this part of his post?

This is a VERY old memory going back to 8th grade art class, so don't
take
it as gospel

But yeah, you're right that vinegar (acetic acid) won't neutralize
sulphuric acid worth diddly. Lye, baking soda, crushed limestone or
gypsum (or all of the above, if you like) would do a good job of it, but
one would want to be *REAL* careful, particularly with the lye, to avoid
getting it flung back in one's face by the reaction.

Gypsum is just calcium sulfate isn't it?

D'OH!!! Where the heck did I get that? You are indeed correct.

If so, it's already a salt and won't act as a neutralizer.

Yep, absolutely true. My brain-fart.

Thanks fer "keepin' me honest".

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Karl Vorwerk

Sulfuric acid will clean the oxide off the copper and it will be bright and
probably frosty.
If I remember correctly it's liver of sulfur your talking about and yes it
stinks. Don't remember it's chemical name and don't remember if it turns
copper black.
Karl

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
"User Example" wrote:

[...]

Roger Jensen

Martin,

Semi gloss...

thanks,

rog

Roger Jensen wrote:
I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Don Stauffer

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
Sulfuric acid will clean the oxide off the copper and it will be bright and
probably frosty.
If I remember correctly it's liver of sulfur your talking about and yes it
stinks. Don't remember it's chemical name and don't remember if it turns
copper black.
Karl

I believe it is hydrogen sulfide
The Davenport's

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
Sulfuric acid will clean the oxide off the copper and it will be bright
and
probably frosty.
If I remember correctly it's liver of sulfur your talking about and yes it
stinks. Don't remember it's chemical name and don't remember if it turns
copper black.
Karl

THAT'S IT!!!

Thanks, Karl...I just KNEW that sulfur was in there somewhere!

I guess it's been a LOT longer going back to 8th grade than I thought...I'll
blame it on the drugs...yeah, that's the ticket...aspirin will do it every
time. :

Mike

Martin H. Eastburn

One way to get these chemicals - if you know a druggist - or a chemical company...
A druggist can order these in small liter sized bottles - or less. I say take this -
as the real names are here - the real purpose is here and you might not have to
worry with permission blank from the FBI or Homeland Security... The first is IIRC
used in a photo lab - I want to say developer - not sure. Been a while since I taught that!
Ferric Nitrate - just have to order. Not simple off the shelf stuff. I don't think a
ranch and farm supply would have either.
Here goes - and good luck. The book is expensive - in a way - but 360+ pages of data -
most of it like this :

"
Copper / Copper Plate Black

3.111 Black Semi-gloss
Sodium Thiosulphate 50 gm
Ferric Nitrate 12.5 gm
Water 1 liter

HOT Immersion (Twenty Minutes)
[ bad info first :-)
If the temp is to high the color layer will be patchy and more
fragile when removed from solution, revealing a tan color beneath the black. ]

Method :
The article is immersed into the hot solution - 60-70C - and after about 1 minute
the surface is colored with a purple-blue luster, which gradually recedes.
After 5 minutes a brown color slowly appears which changes to a slate Grey with
continued immersion. After about twenty minutes the article is removed,
washed in hot water and allowed to dry in air.
The surface may be fragile at this stage and should be handled as little
as possible. When completely dry the article is wax finished.
" quote from page 190 "The Coloring, Bronzing and Pagination of Metals"
(spelling changed from British English to American English )

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Roger Jensen wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Mark

For Brass, I've tried liver of Sulfur, and several Selenium salt or
acid compounds from hobby stores, which give varying shades of very
non-uniform brown or mottled black finish.

Gun blueing is a stronger Selenium compound, and unless wiped and
removed very quickly, produces a nasty black smut. Start over.

Some practice will yield not a bad finish on small parts, but on
a sheet like that?

I suspect that a combo of heat, perhaps molten blueing salts,
and/or fumes of something might just work ok on a very
diligently cleaned surface, but no guarantees. I've seen some
really nice looking Chelsea clock dials (blackened brass), but
can't come close to replicating it myself.. / mark

Roger Jensen wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

Thanks,

rog

Jeff Wisnia

Don Bruder wrote:
snipped

And sulphur figures into the equation, but I can't recall how. All I
remember is that the stuff we used when we did copper impresssions (I
think mine was about 6th grade - Not sure. I remember that I did a
motorcycle, though ) stunk to hell and gone of sulphur. Had to do
that part outside on the benches around the courtyard, the stench was so
bad. It ws safe enough to give to youngsters our age, so it couldn't
have been *TOO* toxic beyond the smell.

Odds are that you were using "Liver of Sulfur" (POTASH SULFURATED). It's
been the standard stuff for darkening copper and bronze for donkey's
ages now. I bought some a few years ago from a crafts supply shop. It
came in powder form, to be mixed with water. And yes, it does have a
very farty smell to it.

It does a good job of "antiquing" copper and brass stuff, and can't be
too hazardous, as I've gotten it on my fingers plenty of times for a
minute or so, and they didn't fall off or anything.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

David Billington

If by farty you mean like rotten eggs or a cold catalytic converter then
that would be H2S hydrogen sulphide gas which is poisonous. I would use
it in a well ventilated room. Might be one of those that if you can
smeel it then its not too concentrated and at a relatively safe
concentration.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:
snipped

[...]

Norm Dresner

Blacken-It. Available at better hobby shops or

http://www.micromark.com

sold in IIRC 4 oz bottles

Norm

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:18:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "The
Davenport's" quickly quoth:

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
Sulfuric acid will clean the oxide off the copper and it will be bright
and
probably frosty.
If I remember correctly it's liver of sulfur your talking about and yes it
stinks. Don't remember it's chemical name and don't remember if it turns
copper black.
Karl

THAT'S IT!!!

Thanks, Karl...I just KNEW that sulfur was in there somewhere!

I guess it's been a LOT longer going back to 8th grade than I thought...I'll
blame it on the drugs...yeah, that's the ticket...aspirin will do it every
time. :

I recently ordered 4oz of Liver of Sulphur from www.dickblick.com for
$2.89. Minimum shipping is $7.98, so buy a few other goodies, too, to
amortize costs.

--
CAUTION: Driver brakes for Pukey Ducks (To ignite them.)

Don Bruder

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:

You can get that by heating the copper in a nitrous oxide
atmosphere. Dark brown, not black.

cringe
Heating metal in a nitrous oxide atmosphere doesn't sound to me like the
greatest way to stay healthy and sound of limb...

That stuff has a tendency to go "kaboom" and/or encourage things to
catch fire when exposed to high temps.

Grant Erwin wrote:
Roger Jensen wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square
foot to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to
do this? Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any
of the Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur
paste, it tarnished it, but not black...

I researched how to patina cast bronze black recently, didn't come up
with anything. I wound up using a dark brown instead, looks OK. - GWE

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Beto Zpravodajec

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:41:48 GMT, "Roger Jensen"
wrote:

I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

Thanks,

rog

Go to a stained glass shop and ask them for black patina for copper.
Follow the instructions...
It is just that simple!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Roger Jensen wrote:
I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot to
treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this? Google
search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the Birchwood gun
stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it tarnished it, but not
black...

Thanks,

rog

I know this is an old thread, but maybe you haven't done it yet.

You want liver of sulphur.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Brazing or welding thick copper? [email protected] Metalworking 30 October 25th 05 05:35 AM
Is burning copper dangerous RobR Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 04:33 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 08:20 PM
copper and gasoline [email protected] Metalworking 28 January 9th 05 09:10 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 06:21 PM