Jim Stewart

Default Situational ethics was opinions----

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Plonk...

Two in one day, a record.

Don't quite get the point, and don't agree that "honesty is good" w/o some
context.
Honesty is good if the other side is being honest with *you*. If not, then
there are no rules.

But to sort of relate this to the HD thing, if the cashier had given the guy
in front of me too much change (and I happened to notice), and he didn't
return it, I would *absolutely* intervene, physically if necessary.
Because this does not come out of HDs bottom line, but out of the cashier
person's *check*--in addition to casting some aspirsions upon them as
employees.
This is true with almost all retail institutions: if the till is short,
you, the employee, pay. Period.

This is a *totally different* issue than scamming HD.

I have had some occasion to return excess change. In some cases, it's
pretty funny, because the first reaction, before I get to the "too much"
part, is fairly evident bristling. Then, the embarrassment.... I dismiss it
with, Don't worry about it--**** happens....
Ackshooly not a bad way to get some dates....

Regarding the tattle-tale 3rd graders in this thread--I wonder how many of
them still live w/ mummy & daddy, or how many of them simply walked into
Daddy's bidniss, so clueless are they about the real world, predatory
institutions, the grinding nature of bureacracies, a deck that will never be
dealt fairly. So quick is their knee-jerk 3rd grade notion of "what's
right".

I wonder how many of these cocksuckers here have made illegal apartments for
extra, possibly tax-free income?
Speaking of which, I wonder who here is cheating on their taxes??
Hmmmmmmmm......
Who here is using student-edition software from their kid's school--big fukn
discounts, jack...
Driving the company car for personal errands...
Fukn around on the internet on company time, phone calls on company time,
personal mail stamped on the good ol' Pitney Bowes, a little quid pro quo
wink-wink, the in-law at the local town hall who can fix dat ticket, ekc.
I'll bet EVERYONE here has some fukn scam going.

Y'all gonna turn yerselves in??

I didn't think so.
Assholes.

But this cocksucker at Home Depot deserves to go to jail, right? And *you
all* are going to make a stink about it....
Yeah, right....
And our suck-ass hero, Harold, should be applauded for risking, and possibly
costing someone their job--absolutely gratuitously, except in Harold's
little fukn brain..
But then, since Harold thinks she is butt-ugly, mebbe that makes it OK.

Hey Harold, you POS, iffin she were really young, good looking, and gave
your old craggy ass a winsome smile, would that have changed anything?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

I have spent - and continue to spend - large amounts of my allotted time in
Central America.
Upon arriving there for the first time I was given lots of 'helpful'
advice from fellow 'gringos'.
One part of that advice - given over and over - was count your change
carefully - "they" will screw you any chance they get.
Well, after many decades of experience I an able to say that this advice
was total BS.

To be sure I have, on occasion, been short changed but, overall, it is
"they" who have short-changed themselves time and time again.
When I pay attention is when the advantage is mine.
I *always* point out the mistake and have had to, at times, patiently
teach a little math lesson.
"One Cervesa is Lps. 7. Two is 14. etc......
This in a bar that was so low-down dirt-poor they couldn't afford a $5.00
calculator or staff who knew the first thing about a multiplication table.

The upshot of this behavior has been an outpouring of gratitude (a little
mistake can mean the loss of a day's profits in some of the family owned
businesses I frequent).
One only has to do this once in a small village to be, in effect, given
the keys to said village.
The ones who take the mistake and laugh about it are usually the ones who
end up being ripped off big time (and in some cases - killed - I lost a
friend that way).
I listen to the experiences of these people and I have to wonder - 'Where
they actually describing the same place I was hanging out in'?
Honesty not only feels good - it *is* good.

Ken.