Larry Jaques

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:00:04 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jerry
Foster" quickly quoth:

Don Bruder said:
Totalled it up when I got home - She'd rung me out with about $85 worth
of these widgets (going with the prices on individual stickers on each
piece, which had matched nicely with the prices on the tags below each
different box) for under 20 bucks. Oh well...

Been there, done that. I saw a nasty scene once where a customer had stuck
several things together and the clerk only scanned one. The customer
pointed out her mistake, but before she could correct her error and charge
him the proper amount, a supervisor came over and tore into her, suggesting
that, if she screwed up like that again, she wouldn't be long employed. So,
now, I just say something like, "Are you sure that's correct? It seems
awfully low." Sometimes the clerk takes the hint and charges me the correct
amount and sometimes (once a bit angrily) the clerk replies that he or she
is sure it's right.

I got tired of arguing with checkers, too, after pointing out a
mistake on their part. Instead of leaving the store with a lower bill
and a guilty conscience, I left the store having paid the right price,
but both the checker AND the folks in line behind me angry with MEing
the right thing. Now I ask (as you do, Jerry) if it's correct. If not,
they'll catch it. If they don't, I have peace of mind after trying to
point it out to them. Life's too short to second-guess fate.

--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by

-President Ronald Reagan
First Inaugural Address
Tuesday, January 20, 1981