David

Default Why are RAS so unpopular?

Toller wrote:

98% of the crosscutting I do (depending on the size with my CMS, crosscut TS
sled, or with a guide and a circular saw) is 90 degrees in both directions.

I understand that RAS can be fussy to set up, but if set up properly will
they do decent 90 degree cuts? Or are they just inherently inaccurate? I
don't mind spending an extra 10 minutes on the rare occasion I want to do
something more exotic; especially since it would take much longer to do it
now (at least on stuff bigger than my CMS).

I have my eye on a 2 year old craftsman that was barely used. Sure would be
nice to be able to do 16" crosscuts without a lot of fuss; but if it won't
be accurate, then it would just be a waste of room and money.

It's only a matter of time before Rumpty weighs in with the reasons why
a RAS is THE tool to own. From what I've heard, a 2 year old Craftsman
would be one of the worst choice in RAS you could make. That's not MY
opinion, as I've never owned one, but I've read plenty about them and it
ain't pretty.

Dave