Proctologically Violated©®

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

Hey Dixon,

What I'm reading here is that most here are in fact treating Home Despot as
if it WERE a small local hardware store, what w/ this hue & cry against this
schmo's actions (let's assume they were deliberate in snuckering HD, which
they clearly were, as he himself did not correct a very obvious mis-total).

What I'm reading here is that most here are NOT considering the bigger
picture of HD's predatory nature and absolute "**** you" attitude toward the
consumer; thus they are able to, in their own minds, rightfully condemn his
behavior.

I, in contrast, view that schmo's behavior largely as a rebellion, an
insurrection of one, a retaliation, futile and pointless as such
insurrections are, given that HD ultimately don't lose, and that,
statistically, sed schmo will eventually get caught.

But if WE ALL did this, then it would not be a minor and futile action--it
would drive fukn HD out of bidniss OR change their M.O.
Then Charlie Rose might not have seen fit to blow Bob Nardelli publicly on
PBS.

But such coordinated effort is pert near impossible, like praying for all
the air molecules in a room to spontaneously aggregate on one side.
Which is why, in part, unions are being decimated.

And why HDs and their ilk prosper, at tremendous social cost.

If HD security were chasing this sorry-assed muhfugguh in the parking lot
past m'truck, I'd whisk him in the back bed and help him make his getaway.
**** Home Despot.

Even before Harold tells us what he did, I'm betting dollars to g-d week-old
dime-sized donuts that Harold made a big g-d problem for this schmo.
Goodgawd...

Oh, the guy w/ the 12" member--hopefully he fell on it, still stiff?
Splint, inyone?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Dixon" wrote in message

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
se.com...
I think it's less of a moral dilemma than a question of what response (and
by whom) is appropriate.

My approach would have been to quietly tell the cashier what had
happened. How she and the store respond to that re the offender is then
their call -- not mine.

Today I was in Home Depot, standing in line to pay for a couple rolls of
hardware cloth. In front of me was a gentleman, and I use that term
loosely, that had placed on the counter six one inch electrical PVC
ells,
along with six couplings, each of which was attached to the ells.
The
ells had their UPC stamped on them, but the connectors had a stick-on
label.
To a woman clerk, that may or may not be wise to how such things look
and
are used, it was very easy for the items to be scanned by the label
only,
considering the UPC on the ells blended well with the other data printed
thereon.

That's what happened. The buyer paid with a credit card, the total
coming
to under $3. It was obvious to me that he had placed the connectors on
the
ells intentionally, likely thinking they would get scanned just as they
did.
I did more than nothing, but I'm interested in hearing what others might
think would have been a good course of action to take. When I've heard
various opinions, I'll describe what I did, and why I did it.

Comments?

Harold

Harold, I'm sure if you would have changed your story scenario slightly
and instead of Home Depot, made it a corner hardware-family business where
the owners actually know about their products and really try to help
customers, and make a modest living, the responses would have been
different. We all have about as much sympathy for the giant chain stores
as we would have if we came home and caught our wife in bed with a guy
with a 12" member, and he hurt himself jumping out the bedroom window.

Dixon