User Example

Default Blackening copper

I don't see how vinegar would neutralize an acid since vinegar is an acid,
isn't it?

"The Davenport's" wrote in message
I need to turn a bit of copper foil black. I have less than 1 square foot
to treat. Paint isn't an option. Anyone know of a good way to do this?
Google search wasn't real productive. I am wondering if any of the
Birchwood gun stuff would work?? I tried using a sulphur paste, it
tarnished it, but not black...

Thanks,

rog

This is a VERY old memory going back to 8th grade art class, so don't take
it as gospel, but as I recall it was sulfuric acid that would put a nearly
black patina on copper. Then use vinegar do stop it and neutralize the
acid.

As I said, please just use this a starting point...it might be the right
stuff, but then again, it might not.

Mike