DoN. Nichols

Default Parting tool usage tips needed

According to :
The other night I needed to whip out a bunch of 1" rollers to fix a
chip conveyor.

Well, I got them made but it did remind me that I really don't have a
good grounding in the proper use of a parting tool.

The tool was 3/32 hhs, and was ground to an angle so that the right
side entered the part first.

I didn't think that was right and likely the machinist on days may
have ground it that way for other purposes but it got the job done.

The purpose for that is so it parts the workpiece off from the
stock with a minimum "tit" left. Then, the remaining part of the
parting tool finishes facing the stock still in the spindle.

The disadvantage of this angle is that if there is a lot of
extension of tool (e.e. for a deep parting), the HSS tool can bend a
bit, resulting in an end which is concave on the workpiece, and convex
on the stock. But this can depend on what material you are machining.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564