Dixon

Default Parting tool usage tips needed

"~Roy" wrote in message
Hmmmm........I wonder how they ever parted items then before the
advent of insert tooling? I have never used a T shape parting tool
but use the typical sort of V shaped parting tool in HSS as well as
insert type all the itme......I sure would not like my HSS parting
tools to get put in a museum, as I use em too much.

I didn't say the hs blades didn't work, just that I have never seen such an
improvment in any other tooling system, probably due to the unusual geometry
of the top face of the carbide parting insert type. I also wondered how they
used to move heavy objects before the wheel was invented!

Dixon

If the high end of the angle wa to the right, the finished part that
was dropped should be relatively free of a nib.
Sometimes it helps to grind the sides (both sides) of parting tool
blade so they have a long taper, not much but some so as the parting
tool is entering the work the sides are free adn clear from the
cutting edge back. A small nick or V ground in the very end of the
cutting tools working edge will also help to some degree to curl up
the material as its removed. Lots of lube certainly helps, for keeping
it cool and friction free. I find power feed to be a much better
method than trying to free hand it which a lot of folks do since they
are a bit nerveous on powerfeed parting. Usually on a lot of stock you
may even have to change feeds and speeds 2 or three times until its
parted off. Its also importasnt that the parting tool is 90 deg to
stock being parted.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:51:56 -0500, "Dixon"
wrote:

===
wrote in message
.. .
=== The other night I needed to whip out a bunch of 1" rollers to fix a
=== chip conveyor.
===
=== Well, I got them made but it did remind me that I really don't have
=== good grounding in the proper use of a parting tool.
===
=== The tool was 3/32 hhs, and was ground to an angle so that the right
=== side entered the part first.
===
=== I didn't think that was right and likely the machinist on days may
=== have ground it that way for other purposes but it got the job done.
===
=== So, how about some tips on proper use/setup/feeds/ect?
===
=== Thanks in advance,
===
=== Wes
===
===
===
===If I am reading you correctly you are using a high speed "T" type
parting
===blade. The only place for these blades is in a museum. The insert
type
===(iscar or others) are so vastly superior it's hard to believe. I
remember
===the old days of parting with those old blades, and squinting and
tensing up,
===just waiting for the inivitable moment that the blade would grab and
either
===break or tear the workpiece out of the machine. Years ago my brother
worked
===third shift (alone) parting 3" bar on a lathe with the new insert
style
===tools. Just for fun he kept increasing the infeed one step at a
time,just to
===see the limit of the tools ability. He was very surprised how fast he
could
===plow through before the tool broke.He insisted on me changing to the
insert
===system and I feel it was one of the best upgrades I have ever seen.
===
===Dixon
===

"The original frugal ponder"