Randy Replogle

Default Parting tool usage tips needed

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:25:13 -0500, wrote:

The other night I needed to whip out a bunch of 1" rollers to fix a
chip conveyor.

Well, I got them made but it did remind me that I really don't have a
good grounding in the proper use of a parting tool.

The tool was 3/32 hhs, and was ground to an angle so that the right
side entered the part first.

I didn't think that was right and likely the machinist on days may
have ground it that way for other purposes but it got the job done.

So, how about some tips on proper use/setup/feeds/ect?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

The reason the tip is angled is so that the finished part cuts to
center leaving no "tit". Sometimes it really works.
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine