Dixon

Default Parting tool usage tips needed

wrote in message
The other night I needed to whip out a bunch of 1" rollers to fix a
chip conveyor.

Well, I got them made but it did remind me that I really don't have a
good grounding in the proper use of a parting tool.

The tool was 3/32 hhs, and was ground to an angle so that the right
side entered the part first.

I didn't think that was right and likely the machinist on days may
have ground it that way for other purposes but it got the job done.

So, how about some tips on proper use/setup/feeds/ect?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

If I am reading you correctly you are using a high speed "T" type parting
blade. The only place for these blades is in a museum. The insert type
(iscar or others) are so vastly superior it's hard to believe. I remember
the old days of parting with those old blades, and squinting and tensing up,
just waiting for the inivitable moment that the blade would grab and either
break or tear the workpiece out of the machine. Years ago my brother worked
third shift (alone) parting 3" bar on a lathe with the new insert style
tools. Just for fun he kept increasing the infeed one step at a time,just to
see the limit of the tools ability. He was very surprised how fast he could
plow through before the tool broke.He insisted on me changing to the insert
system and I feel it was one of the best upgrades I have ever seen.

Dixon