BobS

Default Tool ReReview - Refurb Delta Unisaw - Part Two - ADDENDUM

Okay, time for me to jump on in here with a question or two and some
comments since the discussion is again about the splitter / guard.

Frank, I doubt you'll remember me but I believe it was you I contacted about
5 years ago. Keith B. gave me your name and phone number at Delta. At any
rate, at the time I had a brand new Delta 34-444Z CS and I modified the
splitter / blade guard so that the guard would stay in the up position while
the blade was being changed. And as you stated (earlier post), it had to
fall back into position on it's own when nudged or contacted by a piece of
stock going thru the blade. Said another way, it could not be locked in the
up position.

I do beleive it was you that I talked to (it was a Frank anyway) and it was
explained why Delta did not have this feature on their splitters (codes). I
emailed a drawing that showed the modifications (simple cuts and filing) to
the splitter and to the plastic guard. Never did receive any further
correspondence on that - not even an acknowledgment that the email was
recieved. No matter, I had a guard that stayed up even if the rest of the
world did not - at the time.

It was almost a year later, when the new tablesaw models arrived at
WoodWorkers Warehouse and my friend who worked there called me to say "Come
see your idea". Now I seriously doubt that I was the only person submitting
ideas to Delta on this and certainly not the only one complaining about the
splitter at the time - but one has to wonder.......

Q1 - What does it take to get Delta to accept an idea for a new feature,
enhancement, or safety related improvement ?

Q2 - What's the best way to get Delta's attention ?

It does appear that Delta resists making change until somebody else has
invented the wheel and decides to market it - and only then do they appear
to rise to the challenge. In this case, Jet had just introduced a guard
that stayed up on their new models and Delta followed. To me and probably
others, Delta may have had some "firsts" way back when but have since
decided to become a follower in the market instead of a leader. That's
probably a pretty typical corporate culture since the bean-counters now
dictate the technology used and not the design engineers.

I think many good, cost-effective ideas get trashed because it would cost a
few dollars more to include it - like the arbor nut/flange. That nut
couldn't possibly cost more than a couple of dollars to make and even after
a fair markup - should never cost $20 retail. But like many other
businesses - options usually cost more than they're worth. Corporate greed
takes over selling accessories and optional items instead of concentrating
on building a loyal customer base. You did note that I purchased a Jet
cabinet saw when it came time to upgrade for me and I paid a bit more for
the Jet than a Uni. After purchasing the Jet, I had a call from Customer
Service, asking if everything was okay. Delta never even sent a postcard or
email acknowledging that I even made a purchase from them.... It's all
about Customer service.

No, I'm not Delta bashing just showing how treating a customer from the
git-go, can be good or bad for the business. In this case, Delta lost. I
doubt that you set corporate policy while at Delta but I'll bet you had some
influence on it since you seem to have more than a casual insight into "why"
some decisions were made. That knowledge and influence (no matter how
insignificant you may think it is) could be used now to get Delta to pay
attention to the customer. They should consider hiring you back as a
consultant...

Now I missed the part as to why you're no longer at Delta but you seem very
much pro-Delta and willing to help anyone needing some Delta expertise.
Damned if I wouldn't be looking for ways to capitialize on that - even if I
was retired (if thats the case).

Just some random thoughts, not well thought out perhaps but certainly not
meant to **** anyone off either and if I have, I apologize.

Bob S.