Default How Hard is Brass CDA 360?? and Related Questions

On 10 Nov 2005 10:47:20 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article wFIcf.558482$xm3.71727@attbi_s21, JWho says...

Stem hole for *what*, the fork tube or for the steering head
tube?

It is commonly called the "stem". It is the up and down metal rod in this
pictu

http://www.husaberg.se/EN/images/6426.jpg

OK, that's the steering head tube, or steering stem. You need to
be able to load up the tapered roller bearings in the headset so
there is typically a race and locknut involved somewhere there,
either above or below the upper triple clamp. You need to be sure
that your design does not allow the preload to come off those
bearings if it fails somehow, and that your modification does not
introduce any additional free play between the triple clamp and the
stem, which could cause steering instability or headshake.

I think th' guy's flirting with disaster m'self. Is this modification
going to change rake and/or trail, at all? Just a degree or two can
make a major difference in handling.

And it doesn't take much loss of preload to cause some nasty **** to
happen. Hopefully there's some manner of locking mechanism
incorporated to restrict th' lock nut from backing off. Even with a
fine threaded steering stem thread pitch, it doesn't need to back off
much to loosen preload to a hazzardous level. And of course, that
locking nut will need to be checked and readjusted as wear occurs.

Tons of stress happening there as well, yikes! I can't imagine using
shim stock for that application.

Snarl