Leo Lichtman

Default Cutting 1/2" and 1 - 1/4" steel bar, dry cut saw or abrasive Cut-Off Machine

"Don Foreman" wrote: I'd recommend a portable bandsaw. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with Don. I have both the Milwaukee and the cheapo Harbor Freight
one. The both work, but the sound of the HF one makes me nervous--the gears
are quite noisy. As far as blade life is concerned, I wouldn't worry--I use
mine a lot on all sorts of random cuts, and I very seldom have to change
blades. It's good to have a variable speed model, because if you cut some
tough material, unless you slow the blade down, it will wear out quickly.

"tdmailbox" is worried that the blades resemble jigsaw blades. Not
mine--they are thin, but not too narrow, and they do last unless you abuse
them.

I suggest using tubing for the posts. 1 1/4" steel bar will take longer to
cut; will cost and weigh more. Is there any way you can cap them so you
don't have an open end at the top?