carl mciver

Default Update on machinist trainee

"Pete C." wrote in message
| Geoff M wrote:
|
| That "late and you are fired" routine when the shoe is on the other
foot?
| When machines break down and need fixing, or a big order needs to go
out?
| I'll bet they complain they can't get anyone to do any extra effort.
| It cuts both ways, and being reasonable and flexible is a low cost way
| make employees happy. It goes without saying that if it is abused,
| something has to be done.
| Geoff
|
| If they were to treat their machines like they want to treat their
| employees (like garbage), then as soon as their $75,000 machine breaks
| down a.k.a. is late to work, they will have to throw it out and get a
| new one. Can't tolerate any late to works, regardless of the excuse, no
| working on repairing the machine, just throw it out and get a new one...
|
| It's just as ridiculous when it's applied to humans, but more
| disgusting. Disposable employees.
|
| Pete C.

Well, I look at it simply. All objects must follow the same laws of
physics as everything else in the world. Humans, on the other hand........

You can hire for the right attitude or you can hire for skills. You can
always give someone skills, but you can't give them the right attitude,
therefore attitude is phenomenally more important than skills. The wrong
attitude is not a deficit that can be corrected by anyone other than the
person with the attitude, and therefore impossible to change in an employee
(not necessarily the case with SWMBO adjusting _your_ attitude!) if they
don't feel like it.

Anyone who has to hire will gladly pay out the nose for an employee with
a great attitude, but it tends to make the rest with attitudes not so great
really hard to deal with, which limits how much you can pay your best
people, unfortunately. That's why many outfits ban discussions about their
pay.