Lobby Dosser

Default Please to remember the fifth of November.

(Arch) wrote:

I need to start burning wood in a long unused (except the occasional
gas log for 'charm') fireplace, Probably will need a heater/blower,
but maybe open. What should be done for fire safety before firing up?

Get the chimney looked at and possibly cleaned by someone who knows what
they are doing. Is there gas to the fireplace? Can you burn wood in a gas
equiped fireplace?

Look for Passive blowers to spread the heat around. Here's an example:

http://www.fireplacestuff.com/fireplace/fpheater.htm

Note that you can add a blower as an option.

FWIW, I stay in shorts and short sleeve shirts until it gets below
freezing, then I wear jeans - mostly so that everyone else doesn't feel
like a wimp.

Stay warm.

Oh, and buy SWMBO the best dinner you can afford.