Doug Kanter

Default Intermatic vs. Aube light timers - experiences?

"Christian Fox" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Some Intermatic timers specifically say they can't be used with CF bulbs.
Even so, I bought one which was supposed to be compatible, but 3 of them
fried over a period of 6 months. Intermatic said "not ready until...", and
the "until" kept moving from September to December to ......oblivion.

Hmm... I'm planning on getting one of their SS8 timers to control three
compact
fluorescents. Is this the model you had? If so, did Intermatic at least
offer a
replacement?

Just found the instruction sheet - it *is* the SS8. Keep something in mind,
though: Intermatic did NOT say these failed because of being used with CF
bulbs - they said it was a design problem involving the tiny mechanical
switch inside. (When it switches off & on, you hear a "zzzzt" sort of
noise - not sure of what's really going on inside).

Lowe's replaced the first one at no charge. The second & third time, I
called Intermatic and they explained the situation, finally sending me
another model which is NOT designed for CF bulbs. If I were you, I'd call
them before wasting a trip to the store and the time it takes to install
them. By the way, they were VERY cooperative.

Phone: 815-675-7000