Greg G.

Default Tool ReReview - Refurb Delta Unisaw - Part Two (Long)

BobS said:

The extensions on my Jet cabinet saw were not beveled either. After shimming
them out they finally were "close enough" and I tightened them down. Then I
took an 8" mill ******* file and extended the bevels on over to the wings
and ended them with a soft curve and then took the sharp edges off all the
way around. I don't recall seeing any manufacturer having a bevel on the
extensions.

Bob,

I've not noticed any lately. Could have sworn the Powermatic 66 did,
and possibly the General, but I can't say 'cause they disappeared from
display. I seem to recall that they were but the last time I actually
got to see one was weeks ago. Not the General International, though.

Yeah, filing is an option, but since this was a report and not a
fettling FYI, I didn't go into that. Already used the old ******* on
the slug pliers marks and the dings along the mating edges.

I doubt the tops and the extensions are made and ground as a matched set so
if the beveled the edges on the extensions, there's a good possibility that
the bevels would not match anyway - so pick your poison.

No, they're not. I don't think anyone does that, and it's a shame.
And hey, the tops don't match either, so why not go whole hog. g
Surfacing at the same time would at least give you a nice even
surface. What's the use if it's just dead weight?

Looking forward to Part III and to what Frank has to say.....;-)

I'm not sure I'm up for that today. And I think Frank is getting a
little weary as well. It's appalling how much time you can fritter
away.

Apparently everyone else has killfiled me. I can't believe I didn't
get _one_ laugh out of the mosh pit and Nine Inch Nails joke...
Maybe it was too 'replacement hip' for this crowd. :~)
Or perhaps it just wasn't funny. Who knows...
So I take my place as the dreaded evil outcast at this point.
SWMBO should be back soon, so who gives a duck. g

Later, Dude ;-)

Greg G.