Pete C.

Default Update on machinist trainee

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
snip----

And Harold, since I pay people
like ditch diggers starting at $10.00/hr, I at least put my money
where my mouth is.
Eric R Snow
E T Precision Machine

And what good has it done you? You received roughly the value of minimum
wage, but paid more. Clearly, paying money for unearned effort doesn't
work. Never has, never will. Regardless of how much you pay, they'll
always hope for more, even when they don't improve their performance.
It's the way people are.

Nope. I expect to be paid a wage that will provide for a standard of
living that I consider to be appropriate for the effort and skills I
bring to the job. This means that I expect raises that match inflation
and some additional raise that accounts for long term loyalty,
reliability and continuous increase in skills.

Why do we have to have illegal immigrants harvesting our crops? I get the
idea that it's because you can't get our own citizens to do the work----they
can get the same reward for doing nothing (welfare or unemployment
pay)-----which frees them up to smoke dope and watch TV. NO one should be
rewarded for doing nothing. No one.

You get the wrong impression. We have illegal immigrants harvesting our
crops because in many cases they are willing to endure all kinds of
abuse in order to be able to send their meager wages back to support
their families who are still in another country where the meager US wage
can actually support a family. Eliminate that link, have the family in
the US and that wage will no longer support them and the worker will no
longer be willing to work for that artificially low wage.

Don't misunderstand, Eric. I think you did something very
good-----particularly the pay. I started in the trade, in the missile
industry, for $1.50/hr. Your $14 is far better, at least I think it is,
even considering inflation. I think the point I'm trying to make is that
you could have offered $50/hr, you wouldn't have received any better from
this individual. People have been programmed to expect rewards for no
effort.

If he offered $50/hr vs. $14/hr he would have had more qualified
candidates to choose from and would not have hired this particular one.
The gamble he made was that he would be able to find a less experienced
candidate that he could train to do the job and that he could pay less
than he would have to pay for a candidate that already possessed the
necessary skills. He lost the gamble, simple as that. If the had offered
an appropriate wage for a reliable experienced machinist, he would have
been able to hire one. Had his gamble paid off his profit would have
been the ability to have this worker perform a given job at a lower than
market rate for some period of time. He would eventually have to pay
this worker the going market rate or they would leave to work somewhere
else.

As I've said, we have had too much for too long in this country.
Your generation and mine have never known hardships-------which is my point,
and has been right along. Until we, as a nation, fall to our knees in
hard times, I'm not convinced it will get any better. I hope I can live
long enough to see myself proved right, or wrong.

Harold

What we have had for too long is not too much, it has been artificially
low prices for some goods due to various manipulation of the free
market. If we were not able to import and abuse a continuous stream of
illegal immigrants to harvest our crops we would have to pay workers a
fair market market wage to do that work which would increase the cost of
the food. If we were not able to export jobs we would have to pay
workers in this country a fair market wage which would increase the cost
of the products or services derived from those jobs.

Pete C.