jim rozen

Default Update on machinist trainee

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You bet UPS drivers are worth that much. But not because I say so.

Because UPS HAS to pay that much to run their business.

From that I gather you'd like me to believe that such a business seeks those
that will accept the highest of wages, secure in the knowledge that when you
spend enough money, you get the best employees?

Not at all.

To put it another way Harold, what you are saying is akin to going into
a bakery and saying "I want to buy a cake."

The guy behind the counter shows you one you like and you say "how
much is it?"

Then he says "It's ten dollars."

You reply "it's only worth five dollars. You're asking too much.
I'll only pay five dollars because I know what it's really worth."

And he says "that's my price. It's ten dollars."

It's a free market. He doesn't have to sell it for what you want
to buy it for. You have to pay what he asks, or go without, or
buy from another shop.

Same with labor.

Guy shows up at the shop. "I'm looking for a job, I need to get 25 per
hour."

You say "this job pays only 7 per hour. You're not worth that much."

He says "thanks, but no thanks."

Because he knows he can get that much at the place down the street,
same as the baker knows you cannot buy a 5 dollar cake down the
street.

This is classic free market economics. What part of it would you
change, and how? Again, UPS has a fully developed HR department that's
paid a bunch to figure out exactly how to get the best employees for
the smallest amount of money. It's what they DO.

If they went in to their boss and said "we just feel like paying a
whole bunch extra so our brother-in-law can get hired into a tasty
featherbed job," they'd be fired out of there so fast your head would
spin. The go in there and give all those powerpoint presentations
explaining exactly why they have to pay 28.000000 per hour in
toledo, and they can get away with 27.99995 in tucumcari.

:^)

Jim

please reply to: