Martin H. Eastburn

Default Found something weird inside my saw

Smuggling in parts now are they ? Hiding stuff behind fake covers.... :-)

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi all,

Today I found something weird inside the vice of my power hacksaw. I've
noticed a rubber boot inside the vice before, which I thought protected
the screw thread from chips. But today a bit of the rubber cracked off,
and it didn't look much like rubber. It looked more like that peelable
plastic that is used to cover cutting tools, so I became curious and
pulled this item out from the vice:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/weird_object.jpg

It was resting on top of the vice screw behind the fixed jaw, so it
didn't affect the operation of the vice. The question is, what is it? To
me it looks like a fluteless thread forming tap, but it's double ended
and the threaded sections aren't tapered, so I'm puzzled. It's 5 1/2"
long, 1 1/8" diameter at the small end and 1 1/2" diameter at the large
end. Both screw threads are right handed and it says "T22 HF" on the
large end.

Any idea what it is?

Chris