D Murphy

Default Magnetic Indicator Stands

"Dave" wrote in
ups.com:

Robert Swinney wrote:
The correct device to use on a surface plate is the surface gage.
Trying to use a magnetically mounted device on a surface plate is
asking for trouble. Magnetic dial indicator holders aren't designed
to be stable in the non-magnetic condition. Without magnetic
attaction they are unstable and apt to be just plain wobbly.
Personally, I am glad that mine is able to be laid down so's I can
put it away in a drawer.

The problem with a height gauge is that it doesn't have any reach.
I'll consider one of the larger mag bases that some have mentioned.
Maybe make a heavy steel base I can lock the mag base onto? Thanks.

You need something like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/at3eh

Brown & Sharpe used to make one similar that had a long slotted base that
allowed you to position the vertical rod where you needed it. The one I
used had different height vertical and horizontal rods. I'm not sure who
else makes these now.

--

Dan