Donnie Barnes

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

On Wed, 09 Nov, Larry Jaques wrote:
I've salvaged several strut rod shafts by cutting the housing open
with a 4x1/16" cutoff blade in a die grinder. HF sells the disks in
10-packs for $5 on sale quite often.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be using the chop saw or a cutoff wheel.

Since they were old and worn out, they were already depressurized.

Yeah, and that's obvious when that's the case. Mine aren't depressurized,
but I'm cannibalizing them nonetheless.

In case anyone cares, it's common to do this on strut cars to replace the
shocks with single adjustable race shocks. It's easier for them to
manufacture an "insert" that goes in the original strut body than to
manufacture complete replacment struts.

So you drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut to depressurize, then
cut the top of the strut off and remove guts. Then drill a larger hole in
the bottom, insert the new shock, and run bolt through bottom hole into new
shock to hold it in place.

--Donnie