Rex B

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

Nope, the strut rods are hardened chrome, and no cutting tool will cut that
surface. The inside is also darn hard, but can be cut with difficulty
by carbide cutters.
The chromed surface, however, can only be cut by grinding wheels or
abrasive
saw blades. The inside of the shaft is still too hard to bandsaw with
any blade
I have.

I haven't had any problem turning these once past the 'crust'.
Doesn't turn very pretty, but it's machinable for my purposes. I don't
think my HF bandsaw would have a problem cutting a de-chromed section.
but I may have to try it now.