Jon Elson

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

Donnie Barnes wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov, Rex B wrote:

I used my 10" lathe for a couple last week. I just chucked up the body
kind litely and hit it with a threading cutter (because that's what was
in the toolpost). cut it right open, sprayed oil in a nice 360 pattern.
2nd one I stopped as soon as it broke through, turned the opening down
into the chip pan. Then completed taking it off.

All I have is a mini-lathe. Unfortunately, these aren't mini-shocks.

All is soft stuff except for the shaft itself. Bandsaw won't have any
problem with anything except the hardened shaft surface.

I don't like the "except" above. I assume you mean it will just slow it
down somewhat.

Nope, the strut rods are hardened chrome, and no cutting tool will cut that
surface. The inside is also darn hard, but can be cut with difficulty
by carbide cutters.
The chromed surface, however, can only be cut by grinding wheels or abrasive
saw blades. The inside of the shaft is still too hard to bandsaw with
any blade
I have.

Jon