Rex B

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

All is soft stuff except for the shaft itself. Bandsaw won't have any
problem with anything except the hardened shaft surface.

I don't like the "except" above. I assume you mean it will just slow it
down somewhat.

The shaft is hard-chromed. I doubt a bandsaw will be able to bite into
it. The hard part stops about an inch from the treaded part, typically.
It's obvious by looking at it.

It's messy, but I've cut them with a chopsaw, sparks and all, and
nothing caught fire. My purpose is usually to salvage the shafts, so I
don't mind trashing the rest of it.

Hmm, didn't think of doing that. I've got one of those, and it isn't a
mini-chopsaw, so I should be fine. Probably faster than waiting on that
bandsaw, too.

Absolutely. I try to cut them close to the base, as the inner cylinder
is some nice tubing that is useful. I try to miss it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you salvage the shafts for?

They make great arbors. Both ends are threaded on a reduced shank. The
shaft is very accurate If you need to mount a gear, just turn the shaft
to the ID, slip the gear on, then use spacers and nut to hold it. After
a couple uses the shafting becomes stock for miscellaneous projects.
I've seen shock rods used as replacement shafts for a QC box. They
are often just the right OD, and all they need is a keyway. Very nice
low-friction shafts.