Donnie Barnes

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

On Wed, 09 Nov, Rex B wrote:
I used my 10" lathe for a couple last week. I just chucked up the body
kind litely and hit it with a threading cutter (because that's what was
in the toolpost). cut it right open, sprayed oil in a nice 360 pattern.
2nd one I stopped as soon as it broke through, turned the opening down
into the chip pan. Then completed taking it off.

All I have is a mini-lathe. Unfortunately, these aren't mini-shocks.

All is soft stuff except for the shaft itself. Bandsaw won't have any
problem with anything except the hardened shaft surface.

I don't like the "except" above. I assume you mean it will just slow it
down somewhat.

It's messy, but I've cut them with a chopsaw, sparks and all, and
nothing caught fire. My purpose is usually to salvage the shafts, so I
don't mind trashing the rest of it.

Hmm, didn't think of doing that. I've got one of those, and it isn't a
mini-chopsaw, so I should be fine. Probably faster than waiting on that
bandsaw, too.

Just out of curiosity, what do you salvage the shafts for?

--Donnie