Gunner

Default Has mig essentially replaced stick welding??

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:37:13 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:27:37 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:04:26 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

Jes wunnerin--

In the new litany of home shows (which, if ever there were sleight-of-hand,
these are proly it--as bad as weight loss/fitness infomercials??), I see
everybody mig'ing away, incl. female pixies.
Even on the ng's, I see little reference to stick, and mig has seem to have
excluded stick even in HD/Sears, and gotten so cheap--not too long ago it
was really big bucks
.
The trades (the SEJW crowd) I would imagine still stick weld, but it seems
that mig's abilities have really grown to handle stick-type
one'sies/two'sies tack-weld/out-of-position type stuff.
Opinions?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Pretty much. I modified my trailer this weekend, and used both stick
and mig. Stick on the parts that were big, clunky and needed some deep
penetration/holding power. Mig got the other 80%

Gunner

Ya go with what you're confident with, it's good to understand your
compentencies.

Penetration is a fallacy, (phallusy?). Ernie has agreed with that
view. Fusion is fusion, metal is metal, a puddle is a puddle.
Penetration is important only if the joint situation precludes
full-depth access, as in a flush butt joint in thick material.

I've never encountered a sit like that, but I agree that I'd go with
an aggressive stick like 6010 or 6011 if faced with that problem.
I wouldn't trust that weld overly much.
I'd much rather do a little grinding or leave a gap so I could see
the puddle and know that I'm getting fusion.

I did indeed use 6011. Also bear in mind..that not all MIG machines
are created alike. Running .030 on my old Dan-Mig with CO2 makes for
pretty welds. Except when the material has a heavy coating of
rust..and in inaccessible locations impossible to get a wire wheel
into....stick is a very good option.

But when putting butt welded V channel (.375 thick) into a trailer
frame, while laying on ones back....it had best be a hot machine. Or
dig out the 1/8" 6011

YMMV of course.

Now when I get the Airco Phase Arc mig machine running, I can load her
up with .045 Dual Shield...and using spray..may equal what s simple
stick does.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner