*

Default Has mig essentially replaced stick welding??

Grant Erwin wrote in article
Here are some of the differences between stick and MIG:

SNIP

3. MIG welders can be set up to run aluminum, stick can't

I have purchased aluminum stick rod from my "Friendly Welding Supply
House", and welded aluminum with it.

You can even buy a package of three-or-four aluminum stick rods at your
local NAPA Auto Parts stores.

It DOES, however, require a DC-capable stick welder....

.....but it is much quicker to throw the switch to DCRP, spin the amperage
wheel, and place an aluminum rod in the stinger on a stick welder than it
is to change over the gas (straight Argon for aluminum), liner, and wire -
or attach a spool gun - on a MIG welder.....especially for a single weld.

Aluminum can also be welded with oxy-acetylene - using a rod, flux, and a
purple lens specifically designed for such an application.

I keep a few of each rod and supplies on hand for that once-in-a-while
need.

SNIP

8. MIG can weld sheetmetal, stick can't

I have used a 1/16" 6013 stick rod to weld sheet metal.

There is also a stick rod available at my "Friendly Welding Supply House"
made specifically for stick-welding sheet metal.

Yup! I still have some - along with some 1/16" 6013 - out in my shop,
although I DO use my MIG for most sheet metal work these days.

Maybe you ought to spend an afternoon browsing around your own, local,
"Friendly Welding Supply House."

You'll be surprised at what sort of things are available.......for the
oxy-acetylene, stick, MIG, and TIG processes.