JWho

Default How Hard is Brass CDA 360?? and Related Questions

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ed Huntress wrote:

I am wanting to
take up the slack with something that will remain a permanent part of

the
different top piece. The problem with using some flat sheet metal is

that
it will need to be replaced when the upper piece is removed. I need a
permanent solution.

Lacking the shop, I'd make it from a strip of brass, as I described,

Were it for a non-vehicular application where failure wouldn't carry
the risk of injury,
I'd proably go for the strip of brass, with an addition modifiation to
make it captive:

There's a big nut under the piece with the hole in it, then another nut on
top (25mm thread diameter). It won't go anywhere if the strip failed.

I'd make the strip from C260 yellow brass, about 3/16" too wide on both
sides, and anneal it by heating it in a propane torch flame at night
until it just shows a dull glow.

Then I'd bend it with my fingers into a cylinder around the shaft, file
the edges, and try to get it installed, extending 3/16" beyond the hole
on both ends. I'd then back out the shaft to be flush with the end of
the bore and use a steel rod to burnish the excess material out into a
flare, being carefull not to cut my fingers on the edge (been there,
done that) Then insert the shaft from the other side and do the same
thing, leaving the piece captive.

What does burnish mean??

Are you talking about making a circular I beam looking piece??

Another option, is that I think the difference works out such that a
piece of 1" OD .065" wall tubing could be purchased, slit lengthwise
(before annealing) and installed the same way.

HMMMMM. I saw some of that on eBay, I think. That one little slit would
make it just about right, especially depending on slit width. I have got
some piece of plumbing pipe in the garage. I will take a look at it. I
thought about using Loc-Tite 638 on the bushing I described earlier. Do you
think this would hold a strip in place?? If I can't get the solid tube idea
to work, then I will try this first when it comes time to try the non-sloid
piece ideas.

... but since it's for a vehicular application, formally I wouldn't
touch it.

I know. I know. :-)

Thanks.