Ed Huntress

Default How Hard is Brass CDA 360?? and Related Questions

"JWho" wrote in message
news15cf.531679$_o.86992@attbi_s71...

I have used sheet metal (aluminum foil folded over about 7 times), but

that
is not the best way to do it. I want a piece to fit in the aluminum

piece,
as the aluminum piece is sometimes taken off its assembly, and when that
happens, a new shim stock/strip piece would have to be fabricated.

I have a deburring tool, if that is similar??

No. Don't worry about the bearing scraper, based on what you've told us
since.

I have never used it yet,
though. I don't see how the deburring tool would help. Speaking of

bearing
scraper, doo you know of a picture of one, somewhere?

Maybe. It's a triagular bearing scraper. One should be on the Web,
somewhere.

In any case, this doesn't sound like a job that requires a precision
bushing. Would you tell us some more about the shaft that runs in it,

and
the speeds, lubrication, etc.? Anodized aluminum would make a strange

shaft
to run in a brass bushing, to people who are used to metalworking

machinery.

BTW, in principle, this method I suggest is similar to that used in

early
"thinwall" crankshaft bearings, used in racing engines.

--
Ed Huntress

Again, sorry to cause any confusion, as the pieces just set there. I may
not be doing a good enough job of explaining it.

Were the thin pieces of metal used to take up slack caused by the bearings
"wallering out" the bearing areas?? Someone feel free to tell me the
technical term for "wallered out". "Cause to go out of round" or

something
like that, I guess.

Something like that. g

I have a motorcycle hub that the previous owner rode
with a damaged bearing and "caused to go out of round" the bearing holding
area. Of course, that is another thread. SIGH.

Thanks.

It's not easy to figure out what's going on here. If the shaft doesn't
rotate, why bother with making a bearing? It sounds like all you have to do
is to fill the space. A flat strip of something, bent into a circle as I
described, ought to do it -- unless there's more to it. Maybe a piece of
plastic coffee-can lid, cut into a rectangle with scissors. g

Can you tell us what the parts are for? We need to get an idea of the forces
involved (if any), and the accuracy required.

--
Ed Huntress