SteveB

Default Has mig essentially replaced stick welding??

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

Jes wunnerin--

In the new litany of home shows (which, if ever there were
sleight-of-hand, these are proly it--as bad as weight loss/fitness
infomercials??), I see everybody mig'ing away, incl. female pixies.
Even on the ng's, I see little reference to stick, and mig has seem to
have excluded stick even in HD/Sears, and gotten so cheap--not too long
ago it was really big bucks
.
The trades (the SEJW crowd) I would imagine still stick weld, but it seems
that mig's abilities have really grown to handle stick-type
one'sies/two'sies tack-weld/out-of-position type stuff.
Opinions?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

It all depends on what you are welding. MIG guns are like hot glue guns.
You just point it where you want to put the molten glue, and pull the
trigger. You don't have to think a lot.

With rod, it is much harder, and takes much longer to learn to do right.
With MIG, you just glop some on there, and it will hold for most
applications.

MIG is used by professional welders for larger applications, but then, it is
flux cored and approaches the performance of stick in penetration, fusion,
and tensile strength.

I love those programs where the gals with big hair are welding with that big
hair hanging out of the helmet. They'd be bald in a week with a hundred
dingleberry scabs on their scalps in a real shop. Plus, I love it when they
use a welding hood to OA. And then, on top of it, they have a huge yellow
flame coming out the tip, like it's going to do something relative to
welding/cutting. LMAO every time I see it.

MIGs are great. They are just used so much because they are easy to learn,
and work good enough for the average project. Anyone who really wants
something to hold, or where lives depend on it, use stick.

Steve